Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Alaska: A Land of Bears

If there's one thing I found out after going to Alaska, it was...that they have a lot of bears.
DSC_0476


Apparently, it's a bad enough problem that someone has invented the bear-proof trash can.
DSC_0451


And at any park or campground, you'll see numerous warnings telling you not to leave any food out, so as not to attract the bears.
DSC_0524

I must admit, it was a little unnerving sometimes to go down a trail and have to worry about encountering large, potentially dangerous animals.
DSC_0591

Luckily, all of my bear encounters in Alaska were of a nice, friendly, cuddly nature.
DSC_0581


At zoos and animal reserves...
DSC_0467

Or from a very, very safe distance.

DSC_0525

However, in case I did have a "bad bear day", I would know exactly what to do. Because of helpful posters like these.

DSC_0592


3 comments:

KT said...

These bears are friggin adorable. When I was in Tennessee last month a bear walked right across the trail I was on not three feet in front of me. Seemed nice enough. Didn't eat me. Obviously they are the cuddly variety.

Megan said...

Bad Bear Day is my new favorite saying.

Skye said...

I love the poster. I wonder if they teach kids that in school?