Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Strange Duets

I had a very exciting moment in my car on my way to work today when I switched on my XM radio, and realized that one of my pre-sets, U-Pop, which is advertised as the "international pop" station, had seemingly overnight changed into BBC Radio 1. BBC Radio 1 is kind of like a weird obsession for me. I'm pretty bored with Top 40 pop over here, so it's refreshing to hear some Top 40 from the UK. Actually, a decent chunk of it is the same, but it still seems like a novelty.

So it was here where I first heard that Jack White and Alicia Keys were doing the theme song for the latest James Bond film, Quantum of Solace (can someone please explain that title to me? I still don't get it!)

When the DJ announced they were about to play this song, I was immediately thinking, "HUH?" Seriously, that musical combination makes no sense to me. I mean, I like Jack White and Alicia Keys separately, but together? Not so sure. However, I thought, it could be good in that so-bizarre-it-actually-works-way, like when Snoop Dog did that country song. Or when Run DMC infamously paired up with Aerosmith. At any rate, after a listen, I've decided that this is actually a really cool song. And it works really well as a Bond theme.



While I'm on the subject of strange duets that actually work very well, I present you with the following.

Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - "Where the Wild Roses Grow"


Mark Lanegan & Isobel Campbell - "Keep Me in Mind, Sweetheart"


Bing Crosby & David Bowie - "Little Drummer Boy" (adoreable!)

2 comments:

Skye said...

I too am totally confused by the title of that movie!!! I can't watch any of these videos at work, but just reading "Bing Crosby & David Bowie" made me laugh :)

chrispy said...

I'm really liking that new James Bond theme.