Sunday, May 10, 2009

Apple Bottom Jeans and Boots With The FUR

A couple of months ago, Megan and I attended a bunch of events at the Kennedy Center, for their month-long Arabesque program. The gift shop ("souk") had a lot of awesome, Middle Eastern themed goodies in it. One of them was this here purse. It was an expensive purse, more than I have ever paid for a bag (especially since I'm not one of those girls who's really into bags), but it was just so fabulous I couldn't say no. In case you're wondering, that is Umm Kalthoum on the purse, who was the most famous singer to ever come out of Egypt. No, I'm pretty sure she didn't really have green hair. Despite the fact that I needed, NEEDED this purse, I could not think of a single occasion in which I could use this purse, or any outfits I owned that it would go with. Last night, that all changed.


This is Corianne. We've known each other since high school. She's quite awesome. This week, however, she is moving all the way down to Tuscaloosa, Alabama where she'll be going to grad school at the University of Alabama. Which is terribly far away.
I told her that since she's moving down to Sweet Home Alabama, we needed to go do something that you could do here in the Northern Virginia/DC area, that you probably wouldn't be able to do in Alabama. What did we do? Go to a gay bar of course. We went to Apex, which is a gay bar in DC that hosts a drag show on Saturday nights. I decided that this would finally be a good occasion for my fabulous Umm Kalthoum purse. What better place than a gay bar, right?
Corianne was happy that one of the performers did her routine to "Halo", by Beyonce. In the picture below is the performer, I forget her name. But all of her songs were Beyonce or Mariah Carey. Also, apparently she had an injured leg that night, so kudos was still fabulously strutting around!


Here is Kristina Kelly, who hosts the event. On witnessing this ensemble, Corianne remarked: "Just because you're morbidly obese doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a leotard!"


Allegedly, Kristina Kelly is trying to get on the show RuPaul's Drag Race. I'd put in my vote for her, fo sho.

It was a fabulous night and I just want to wish Corianne bon voyage and bonne chance on your new life in Alabama!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Aw, I love that purse.


And I can't believe that there was a photo of me in the post that disappeared - how can you taunt a girl like that?