Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Fes, part deux

I thought you all would like to know that the last...3 nights here I've watched Desperate Housewives. I never watched this show in America, and soon as I get to Morocco, I watch it all the time. I think Sihan likes it, because she doesn't change the channel when it comes on (the TV is on all the time and is rarely on the same show for more than 5 minutes, it seems). I guess Desperate Housewives is the last show I would expect to watch in Morocco, because I would think it would be quite racy by the standards here. Who knows. It's in English and subtitled in Arabic. I like trying to read the subtitles sometimes.

Megan and I went to a lecture on Moroccan manners last night which ended up being hellishly long and kind of boring and uninformative. We wanted to go see the whirling dervishes performing at the Sacred Music Festival afterwards but the horribly boring lecture took away all of our energy. And then when we got home, the family was watching this movie. I assume it was an old Egyptian film. It was an Arabic and halfway through, so I could only try and peace together what was going on. There were Egyptians and Israelis and political espionage going on and it seemed like all the major Israeli characters died in the end. And there was very dramatic music.

All the kids from my Arabic class back at Mary Wash, at least all the ones I took 201 and 202 with, we're all in the same 300 level class now. So we all suck pretty much equally and I think it's making our professors here cry themselves to sleep.

This weekend we're going to see the Roman ruins at Volubolis, near the city of Meknes. So stay tuned.

No comments: